New-crisp-logo copy
Carers Support Service
call us now 01202 128787
carers' resource information and support

Carers Breaks Feedback

We know that having a holiday is not possible for many carers, so if you do get the chance you want it to be a good experience.  We asked carers for some feedback and this is what they told us.  We have only used the positive comments.  Unless it is stated, you may need to check for accessibility.

If you are travelling by train check if the train company offer an assisted service when they will help you to navigate the station or help with heavy baggage.  You will need to book this in advance.

Companies to use and where the carer went

Revitalise, Netley Waterside House, specialist in breaks for disabled people and their carers.

Forest Holidays, Winchester have accessible cabins.

Centre Parcs have accessible lodges in all their villages

P & O ‘excellent for wheelchair users’, cruising from Southampton, also recommended by carers of people with dementia.  ‘Cruises provide a break for both of us’.  You need to make your own judgement of how the person would cope with the change of environment.

Hoseasons, Bath Mill Retreat, ‘calm and quiet park.’

Warner Leisure Hotels, Norton Grange Coastal Village, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight.

Shearing Coach Holidays, ‘…a rest from caring duties and mobility issues.’

The Grove Hotel, Bournemouth.  ‘Supportive staff and lovely atmosphere.’

Enable holidays.  ‘For holidays abroad together’. 

Disneyland Paris offer a free carer ticket when you are with the person you care for.

Access Travel (Lancs) Ltd specialise in overseas travel and holidays for wheelchair users. They can hire specialist equipmement and arrange Nursing or Care Services at some resorts. 

The AA have prodced a Disabled Travellers Guide with information and ideas to make getting about easier. You can phone the AA Helpline to get a free hardcopy on 0800 262 050.

Can be Done Ltd puts together holidays abroad and itineries for disabled people in the UK. 

Tourism for All provides information on holiday sin the UK and abroad for people with physical, sensory and learning disabilities and their families. 

Thomas Cook offer good assistance at airports. 

Help to have a holiday

There are several charities, such as SSAFA, RAFA and the The Royal British Legion, that may help people who have served in the armed forces.

The Leonardo Trust give grants for carers to have a break.

The Family Fund give grants for families with disabled children to have a holiday.


Lots of carers said how much they enjoyed a break at one of our holiday lodges.

You need to accept social media cookies then refresh the page before you can view our tweets.