New-crisp-logo copy
Carers Support Service
call us now 01202 128787
carers' resource information and support
Help and advice - header (1)

Help and Advice

Help for you 

We offer a range of support services to help carers, most of which are free to carers even if the person you support has to fund their own care. Find out more about how we can help you

What is a Carer? 

Not sure if you're a carer? Find out what is a carer?

Bournemouth University have created videos about Becoming a Mental Health Carer and Being a Mental Health Carer. This BBC interview also descibes what it is like to be a Mental Health Carer. There is also a video which explains about the Triangle of Care. 

Getting Help for the Person You Care For 

Getting the right support for the person you care for, and support your in your caring role and make things easier for you. Find out more about how to access support for the person you care for here.

Home First - Discharge from hospital and recovery at home

The NHS and social care services have teams available to help people move-on from hospital more quickly and recover in the comfort of their own homes.

The new system is called 'Home First', and is in place to help reduce the length of time someone stays in hospital when they no longer need to be there. You can find out more about Home First here. 

There is also a helpful leaflet which can help to direct you to support within the community, which can help you or the person you care for stay well at home.

Information About Health Conditions

Look up helpful information about specific health conditions on NHS Choices, or read 'A practical guide to healthy caring.' for hint and tips on healthy caring. 

My Life My Care

For information and advice about care and support for adults, visit My Life My Care 

Employment Rights and Information For Carers

You do not have to tell your employer about your caring responsibilies, but you do have certain rights as an employee. These include the right to request flexible working or time off in emergencies. 

The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) are able to provide information and advice to both employers and employees about carers rights withing the workplace. 

The Carers Trust have produced the handbook, ‘Getting into Work: a Guide for Young Adult Carers in England’. This gives young adult carers information and advice about how to overcome difficulties they may face in finding and staying in exployment, applying jobs, and balancing work with a caring role. 

Carers UK have designed a new e-learning programme called Learning for Living which provides a helpful starting point if you are wondering what skills you've gained from caring.

The uCan project by WISE Ability is a project which supports people to achive their employment, training and education goals. Find out more here or phone WISE Ability on Call 0300 303 3737. 

Lasting Power of Attorney

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document where you can give another person the authority to make certain decisions on your behalf.

The person you care for may also want to set up a Lasting Power of Attorney so that it is easier for your to make decisions for them if they can't do this for themselves in the future.

For more information, visit the website

People on low incomes may be be able to apply for a reduced fee or you may be exempt from paying for the fee to register the Power of Attorney document if you receive certain means tested benefits. You can find out more about this here

When caring comes to an end

Looking after someone is a huge part of life, but it is inevitable that your caring role may change over time. You may not be able to look after the person you care for at home, or there may be a time when you have to think about life after the death of the person you cared for. Whatever the circumstances, our 'When caring comes to an end' booklet may help.