Need a Break
Taking a break from your caring responsibilities is vital. Caring can be emotionally and physically demanding, so it's important not to overlook your own needs.
We can help you have some much-deserved 'time out' in a number of different ways, many of which are free.
- Carers' Pop-Ins - There's a warm welcome waiting for carers every Tuesday afternoon 2pm-4pm and every Friday morning 10am-12pm. If you need some support, or just need some time out for a drink and a chat, then drop in to the Carers Centre. Refreshments are provided. No need to make an appointment, just pop in. However, if you'd like more information about the drop in please contact the Carers Support Service.
- Carers Social Events - Find out about our CRISP hosted social events or what else is going on locally for you and/or the person you care for.
- Holiday Lodges in Devon and Weymouth - available to carers for a small booking fee. You can choose to take a break with or without the person you care for.
- Beach Huts - available to carers for a small booking fee.
- Respite - Respite is important so that you can look after your own health and wellbeing. In some situations, respite care may be provided by adult social care after your carers assessment or after the person you care for has had an assessment.
There are also other ways you can be supported following a Carers Assessment
Green Island Holiday Trust
Green Island Holiday Trust offer supported holidays for people living with disabilities and their carers. They are based at Holton Lee, in accessible cottages. During your stay, personalised care and support will be provided 24/7 by experienced volunteers
For more information, please contact Wendy on 01202 375006, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.greenislandholidaytrust.com.
Carers Breaks Feedback
We asked carers for some feedback and this is what they told us.
NHS Carers Direct has some useful 'top-tips' on looking after yourself.
Natural Choices hold a number of activities across Dorset, designed to improve your wellbeing, and give you some time for you.
BH Live offer a number of Health Walks across Bournemouth, designed to improve your health and help you meet new people.
Parks in Mind provides fun nature conservation and other outdoor activities in Bournemouth’s beautiful parks and open spaces to deliver health and wellbeing benefits to the people taking part.
Skills and Learning have short online courses which are designed to help you discover and recover ways to enage and support your mental wellbeing. Find out more on their website.